PCA Student Requirements
- 18 years of age or older
- Able to communicate in English
- Able to read and understand written training materials
- Physically able to perform the tasks and duties required of a personal care aide
- Able to accurately complete records
- Classes are held Monday through Friday.
- Proper uniform and footwear required
- A non-refundable course fee of $365 is required prior to the start of class. (Call 757-802-9947 to inquire about financial assistance)
- Two forms of identification are required to register for the course.
1576 Aspin St., Suite C
Norfolk, VA 23504
1421 W. Pembroke Ave.,
Hampton, VA 23669
Thomas Nelson Workforce Center
4135 Ironbound Rd., 2nd Floor
Williamsburg, VA 23188
9:30am - 3:30pm
5:00pm – 9:00pm
Personal Care Aide Course
The Department of Medical Assistance Services (DMAS) allows personal care and private duty companies to provide and offer a Personal Care Aide (PCA) training course.
The curriculum has been developed by DMAS to establish uniform training guidelines for personal care aides. A minimum of 40 hours of training is required.
Only graduates of the PCA course are authorized to provide personal care aide to Medicaid recipients with a waiver. The only agency to recognize this training is the DMAS Waiver Program.
The training curriculum of the Personal Care Aide is designed to provide training that is practical for personal care nursing aides.
Within this curriculum, all techniques, procedural tasks, and assigned duties must be demonstrated by the student.
This course is not recognized by the Virginia Board of Nursing, medical facilities, or other state nursing boards.